Monday 26 January 2015

Class 4- Narratives and Poetry

            I've always thought poetry came from the soul. Some writers naturally had the gift of creating poems and somehow I missed the boat. However, Peterson referenced Michael Ondaatje who wrote that the revision process is where all the "extra clothes" come off of his writing. I think it is important to stress to students (and anyone pursuing writing for that matter) the necessity of practise and editing― your poem is not required to be stellar when you first put pen to paper. It is through repetition and revision where your work can truly become precise. I know first hand that the pressure to be perfect and to have your words succinctly express your emotions and thoughts is anxiety-inducing. It is relieving to think that poetry can be a learned skill and every student of every capability has room to grow.

            The creative process involved in writing has also been discussed by various authors. The following quotes have made me feel less concerned with creating emotive and precise work from the beginning:

“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” 
 Ernest Hemingway

“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.” 
 Mark Twain

"It is perfectly okay to write garbage—as long as you edit brilliantly."
― C. J. Cherryh

“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” 
― Anton Chekhov

“There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.” 
― Homer, The Odyssey


            It seems to be a running theme among writers that no one is satisfied with the quality of their work at the beginning; maybe some still aren't satisfied by the "end". My goal in this course is to feel more confident about my writing and to just "let it bleed" as Hemingway described. I will practise my ability to write organic organically and become proficient at selecting my words with precision.

            Lastly, I will leave all my lovely readers with a video of my classmate and I performing some poetry in the format of a rap song about World Issues. I was inspired by a classmate's spontaneous spoken word performance this morning and I wanted to share a performance of my own. I can definitely see the appeal of integrating creative formats of expression into the classroom because it allows students to formulate their own thoughts and ideas in a way that makes sense to them.

          

1 comment:

  1. Cute video! Thanks for sharing it and I think you are right about the running theme amongst writers that no one is satisfied with the quality of their work. I guess that is what keeps driving great writers!

    ReplyDelete