Tuesday 6 January 2015

Class 1- What writing means to me...

To me, writing is very personal but it's purpose can vary greatly. Some write as a hobby, some write as an emotional outlet, and some write to make money... however, I would argue that every piece of writing is a form of expression. I write to communicate to my future self the thoughts, ideas, emotions, and goals of my present self. In terms of teaching history, the written word is crucial to the comprehension of past events and our understanding of what actually happened throughout human existence. Some pieces of writing are meaningless to us because we cannot decipher the language in which it was written. On the other hand, some pieces of writing are crucial to furthering our understanding of an ancient society. As a modern historian or student studying history, I think it is most important to develop critical thinking skills that allow one to analyze any resource and be able to create a piece of writing that represents their beliefs about the topic. Utilizing critical thinking skills is a necessary component of creating thought-provoking pieces of writing on historical topics.


Linear A- Writing is only effective at communicating
 your ideas when it is able to be understood

1 comment:

  1. I like your argument that every piece of writing is a form of expression. The image you have chosen above certainly helps to convey this idea.

    ReplyDelete